Thursday, March 17, 2016

All You Need Is Desire

Day 24: 3/17/2016

I was thinking about a lot of the things that I've accomplished in my life.


  • Sports trophies as a child athlete
  • Learning musical talents (piano, drums, bass guitar, singing)
  • Getting my first job
  • Moving to a new city on my own for a job
  • Overcoming drug addiction
  • Going to my desired trade school to learn audio engineering
  • Engineering/mixing/producing music
  • Marrying my best friend
  • Being promoted at my current job 5x in less than 5 years
  • Going from 530 lbs down to 252
  • Gaining 141 lbs from that 252....... (still a "big" accomplishment)
They are all big things to me. I was trying to find the commonality in all of them and desire is the thing that sticks out. We spend so much of our time, convincing ourselves that we want something, but we only accomplish the things that we truly desire. I won trophies as a kid because I truly wanted to win, and in order to win, I desired to be the best. I excelled in learning a trade because I truly desired to be paid to do what I love. I married my wife because I truly desire to have my happily ever after with her.

Now comes what I've been stewing over for the last few days. Do I truly desire to be healthy? I mean in my heart, in my mind, in my actions? 

The equation for losing weight is simple. The actions to accomplish what you want on the scale are well known. It is even easy to understand that anyone who drops weight won't accomplish their goal in one night. However, DO YOU DESIRE THE OUTCOME ENOUGH TO DO IT?

It's going to hurt. You're going to be tired. You're going to have food cravings that don't match "healthy". You're going to be stressed, overwhelmed, and ornery. You're going to feel alone. You're going to feel failure, and you're going to feel like you want to quit. 

The difference between those who accomplish the goal and those who don't, is in the desire to stare down those hardships, and choose to beat them. 

I am there. I am that guy. I truly desire to be healthy, thinner, happier, more active, and strong.

"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think." -Captain America: The Chosen

No comments:

Post a Comment