Monday, June 20, 2016

I Did A Thing!! (Bonus: A Recipe For You)

Day 119: 6/20/2016

Progress is something that we inherently want/need to measure. If you can only run 1 mile today and are able to run 1.3 miles the following week, that's progress, right? But what if you wanted to run 1.5 miles? did you succeed? is that progress?

I've been thinking a lot about my goals in all of this. When I sat down with Dash Cox at Title three weeks ago, he asked me "what makes this time different than the lasts?". I didn't really have a good answer.... until now.

My goal, is to want to be healthier everyday. My goal is to feel like at any moment, I am physically capable of going out to do anything I want. For example, right now, I'm not capable of being comfortable on an economy seat in an airplane. I most likely won't be able to ride a rollercoaster because I wouldn't meet the weight/space requirement. I can't go skydiving. I want to be able to go out and hike with my wife and dogs without worrying about getting hurt or sick due to being so out of shape.

Now, here I am, a full 7 days into my new food plan and my new exercise routine. Holy hell it sucks in the best sort of way. It's the most tired, most hungry, and most physically and mentally challenged that I have felt in a long time. I had more success than I think I was possible for me in a 4 day period.

I lost 13.6 pounds from Monday morning to Friday morning. More than the weight, though, I proved to myself, that I could fight through my own way that got me to this heavy point, and have success and show "progress".

I'm now in the mindset of trying to define some additional goals. I'll update as I figure them out.

NOW

I promised the bonus of a recipe. Tonight, I made a "roulade". It's typically some type of meat that is rolled with veggies or cheese, or other items.

You will need:
15-18 oz piece of sirloin (london broil will work, too)
16 oz of sliced mushrooms (I used blancas in this, but portabella would be great as well)
4 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
1/2 cup of baby arugula
1 1/2 feet of butcher's twine.
Sea salt and black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil


Take your piece of meat, place it in either a plastic bag, or you can use parchment paper (like I did) and pound it out with a meat mallet. Do your best to make it even all the way around.
 Once it is pounded out, rub the meat lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper on both sides.
Chop the shallot and garlic finely and set aside.










Saute the sliced mushrooms in a pan on medium heat with some olive oil and salt and pepper. When the mushrooms have started to get some color on them, place your chopped shallot and garlic in the pan with the mushrooms and stir. Make sure to stir often as to not burn the shallot/garlic. Once you have some color on the mix, place in a bowl and set aside.
(Don't judge my roll job..... I struggled on this one for some reason) place the baby arugula on the meat and then the mushroom mixture on top of that. Carefully roll the meat into itself. If you don't know how to tie meat, I learned via Food Network and Youtube. Tie it off while trying to keep the insides intact. (Pro tip, reserver some of the mushroom mixture to use as a garnish on top when you plate it)





 Sear the meat in an oven safe pan (if you have one) on all sides.
 Once it is seared on all sides, place the meat on the seam side down. Place it in a preheated oven (set to 375) on the middle rack for 25-30 min. If you want medium, use a meat thermometer and test the middle of the meat to hit a temp of 155 and take it out of the oven.
 It's important to let the meat rest for at least 10 min to allow the juices to settle. If you cut into it right out of the oven, the juices will run and you'll have a dry piece of meat.
 Cut the twine off of the meat with some scissors. Slice it it up and give it plenty of "ooh's and aaah's" and sniffs.








Plate it, and SERVE!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Dinner looks so yummy and your progress is awesome!!! I love your attitude and your "why"!! You've got this����

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner looks so yummy and your progress is awesome!!! I love your attitude and your "why"!! You've got this����

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good man. Glad your having some success. I started yesterday. So keep inspiring.

    ReplyDelete